YOU as an overseas visitor in the UK

You should also remember if you return for visits to the UK you may not automatically be able to obtain health cover there.

Are you visiting the United Kingdom? Have you been living outside the UK for more than 3 months? Did you know that you may have to pay for hospital treatment whilst in the UK? Hospital treatment is free to people who ordinarily live in the United Kingdom . If you do not normally live here then you may be required to pay for any treatment you might need. This is regardless of whether you are a British citizen or have lived or worked in the UK in the past.

Under the current Regulations, anyone who spends more than 3 months living outside the UK is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. This includes people in receipt of UK state retirement pensions who should keep a copy of their S1 document to show in the UK if needed.

If you are entitled to one (ie you are working, self employed or are a Spanish Pensioner), you should make sure you have applied for a European Health Card from the Spanish authorities before returning to the UK as a visitor – this if free and valid for one year from the date of issue. I can help you to obtain this card if you do not know where to go or do not speak Spanish.