What to do if you are living permanently in Tenerife and are retired or coming up to retirement age.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK, nor UK nationals living in the EU, while the UK remains in the EU.

If you have previously worked in Tenerife, you will find it has an effect on the way you claim your UK pension entitlement when you come to retirement age.

How do I claim my UK pension? 

You should be sent a EC rules claim form 4 months before you reach your State Pension age. Contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) if you haven’t received a letter 3 months before you reach State Pension age.

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

+44 (0)191 218 7777 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm)

You can do this by phone, or fill in the international claim form.

If you are living here when you retire and have worked and paid contributions in Spain as well as the UK you should also make a 2nd pension claim through the Centros de Atención e Información de la Seguridad Social (CAISS) del Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS) here in Tenerife, for the Spanish component of your pension, attaching the UK letter to the Spanish application form.

You need to make an appointment see here They will then contact the UK in order to calculate your entitlement under Spanish rules.

Spain takes in to account contributions paid in other EU member states to work out qualifying years and then pays the pension pro rata on actual qualifying years contributed in Spain.

If you are living here but have never worked or paid contributions in Spain, you claim your UK State Pension direct from the IPC. That is unless you have worked in another EEA country since leaving the UK, in which case you should make your claim through the Social Security institution of the last country you worked and paid contributions in.

When can I get the UK State Pension?

Check your own retirement age here https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

When can I get the Spanish state Pension?

Check your retirement age here IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that in Spain unlike the UK, you MUST have ceased employment in order to make your claim.

Will I receive a pension from each country?

Currently when calculating your pension, the total number of qualifying years you have in the UK and Spain will contribute to your entitlement, you may well be entitled to a pension from both countries. It is important to note however that you must have paid contributions for at least 2 of these years in the 15 years prior to making your claim; these 2 years can be made in either Spain or the UK.
However, each EEA country adds together your insurance contributions from all the other EEA countries, they then see how much state pension (if any) you would get if your insurance contributions had all been paid into that country’s own social security scheme and will award you a pro-rata amount. Remember, in Spain the pension amount payable is related to the amount of full time equivalent contributions made. You can apply to the Spanish INSS to be sent a “Vida Laboral” or work history, which will show how much you have made in contributions to the Spanish system.
A full entitlement to a minimum payment amount aged 67 with a dependent spouse is around 730 euros: without a dependent spouse around 600 euros per month.

At The One Stop Problem Shop we can assist with preparing and presenting your applications. Please get in touch using the links below if you require our assistance.

Contact Us


WhatsApp 659719695

📞 922 783828 or 659719695