Brexit: Progress in the negotiations: citizens’ rights and what you can do NOW

UPDATE 11 April 2019 On 10 April 2019, the European Council agreed to a further extension to allow for the ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement by both Parties. Such an extension should last as long as necessary and, in any event, no longer than 31 October 2019. The European Council also recalled that, under Article 50(3) TEU, the Withdrawal Agreement may enter into force on an earlier date, should the Parties complete their respective ratification procedures before 31 October 2019. Consequently, the withdrawal should take place on the first day of the month following the completion of the ratification procedures or on 1 November 2019, whichever is the earliest. However: If the United Kingdom is still a Member State on 23-26 May 2019, and if it has not ratified the Withdrawal Agreement by 22 May 2019, it will be under an obligation to hold the elections to the European Parliament in accordance with Union law. In the event that those elections do not take place in the United Kingdom, the extension should cease on 31 May 2019

UPDATE 11 March 2019 Spanish Goverment Publishes No Deal Contingency legislation and announces if UK leaves without a deal there will be 21 months to comply with new procedures required of British Nationals living in Spain (dependent on UK reciprocating)

…. In the event of no deal UK nationals living in Spain will maintain their legal residence status after 31 May 2019 or earlier in the event of a deal and they, and their family members, will have at least until 31 December 2020 to get a (third country) Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE). Further information on the process for obtaining this card will be released in due course check here as and when available


Latest information on Health Care issues (S1s and EHIC cards) as they relate to Spain can be found here Page entitled SOCIAL SECURITY, HEALTHCARE AND HEALTH PROFESSIONALS

I can’t emphasise enough how important it is for British Expats who live here in Tenerife to make sure they are not only registered, but CORRECTLY registered on the Central Register of foreigners and have a Green Certificate of Residence Registration (Also wrongly called Residencia by some people) This includes obtaining DUPLICATES if there have been changes of address, or circumstances, or if the original has been lost or stolen. This also includes children who are not registered even if their parents are. You must also make sure that you are registered for Spanish State Health Care if you have the right to do so. This might include so far unregistered dependants of workers or self employed for example.  Getting this done is cruicial and due to the agreed extension you may have at least until the 1 Nov 2019, or possibly sooner depending on the outcome of the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration on the future relationship between the UK and EU. You can stay up-to-date with official information on the most recent developments from the British government here  and from the Spanish  government here